Monday, January 26, 2009

Today 1-26 is Chinese New Year. It is now the Year of the Ox. So please stop writing Year of the Rat on your checks.

So today I saw three birds, and my roommate saw a group of like six birds sitting in the water. We are two nights and one full day away from Spain!!! On our current route we are going in-between the Azores and the Madeira Islands. The birds we have seen are probably residents of these islands since we are still around 800 miles away. My roommate is doing this amazing thing; I wish I had thought of it. We have a map hanging in our room and she is plotting our longitude and latitude every morning to see how far we go, and what route we take on our voyage. It is awesome. I am thinking of trying to find a map in Spain and catching up. It just seems like a really nice memento from this experience. Plus then when I go back to being bad at geography I can easily show people exactly where I went.

Classes are keeping me really busy. Our schedules are divided into two days, and almost every full day the ship is at sea we have class. The days are so cleverly named A day and B day. My schedule is as follows… A days I have 8-9:15 Lost and Found (A literature class dealing with stories of travel) 9:20-10:35 Global Studies, and 12:15-1:30 Evolution and the Human Fossil. On B days I have 8-9:15 Medieval Travelers, 9:20-10:35 Global Studies, and 10:45-12 Religion and Politics of Islam. Yes I have an 8am class everyday and no that is not a typo, global studies is everyday. Because we have class everyday I never know what day it is.

Practically every night we have to set our clocks forward an hour, so on top of getting over seasickness, taking one class more then most of the people on the ship, having to get up at 7:15 to make it to breakfast at 7:30, and trying to stay on top of all my massive amounts of reading, all but I think two days so far on this voyage have been only 23 hours long. I am having the time of my life.

Next: Spain (something to look forward to!!)

1 comment:

  1. Just remember when you cross the International Date Line you will go back in time and get all your hours back.

    ReplyDelete