Friday, January 23, 2009

hey I am still alive!!!!!

Sorry it has been so long… I had an amazing time in New York. Lots of chocolate, theatre, museums and figuring out the subway. It was a blast. The weather didn’t even delay my departure from JFK. Well we did have to taxi for about 30 min, but the flight wasn’t delayed.

I got to the Bahamas and the weather was beautiful. There was a live band playing while I waited in line to go through customs. The wait was not too long, which was nice. I got a taxi, and the driver was very friendly and very informative. I got to the hotel and Beth, my last minute roommate in the Bahamas was there waiting on the couch. We checked in, and I had to pay for the room cause they didn’t have a reservation for me. But it all worked out. We were hungry and we went to eat, finding a place from walking around downtown Nassau. We hung out with people who were also doing semester at sea and were staying at our hotel too. I guess it is tradition to go to a club or bar the night before the voyage, and if you are in Nassau that bar is Senor Frogs. We went for a little, and had a drink but not as many as everyone else there. A group of us at the hotel decided to go early to the pier. It was only a few blocks away so we decided to walk. It was hot, but a lot cheaper than a taxi. Then after a few hours of waiting in lines I was on the ship. And at 5pm we left port and began our voyage.

The reason that I have not updated for so long is that I got seasick. Pretty bad too. I threw up on Wednesday. That was when I decided that the ginger was not going to cut it and I should turn to medication. The clinic on board has pills available 24/7 and I took a pack of them, which was two. But after a little over 8 hours I still felt sick my roommate gave me one of her patches, which you put behind your ear. I feel great now, which is good cause I need to do lots of homework all the time. I even felt good enough to day to take a shower!!!

Classes are a lot of work. And I added a fifth one. But the subject matter in all of them is interesting, so it should be a pretty good semester.

I sit out side when I am done with classes and do my homework and watch the ocean as we go sailing over it. It is an impossible feeling to describe. One of my friends saw a whale! I only saw the splash it made going back under, but still that was awesome. I heard someone saying that when we are around Hawaii it is humpback season, so that should be very neat.

Well I have reading I still need to do, so I should go… More later, and I promise it wont take so long to write. Ciao.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing. The watching the ocean thing, I mean. Not the throwing up thing. That sounds terrible. Glad you're having a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing quite like being in the middle of the ocean. Don't forget to look at the stars it is an amazing site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would look at the stars, but the lights from the ship make them hard to see. there is a rumor that one night the captain turns most of them off, that would be awesome...

    ReplyDelete