So for those of you who don't know, today we celebrated Neptune Day, which is a day of commemorating the crossing of the equator. There are lots of funny rituals and many people shave their heads etc. This morning around 8am many of the crew members dressed in togas of such and face paint and hats made of foil came marching through the cabin halls playing all sorts of hand made drums and kazoos and making all kinds of chanting/yelling noises. they made multiple passes through the halls and on all the decks. At 9am all polywogs (which is what an equator transit virgin is called) were to report to the swimming pool area. Here they had us repeat some lines which claimed Neptune as the supreme ruler of the ocean and to bow to his power and excellence. Neptune was there. It was our captain in neon green body paint, and he was painted head to toe, and was wearing pretty much nothing but a white grass skirt, a white grass wig, a crown and held a trident. Oh and on his had he sported a very large ring. Next to him was his queen, dressed in green face paint, a white toga like dress, and elaborate eye makeup, also wearing a crown and holding a scepter. The initiation ritual was as follows: first, you stepped into an area right on the pool and they poured a kinda foul smelling, very cold, think blue or green colored goo onto your head. Then you proceed to the royal couple and on your way you kissed a fish (it was a real dead fish, and I kissed it on its fishy lips. And it had little fish teeth sticking out.), and then kissed the ring of Neptune Rex. Then you jumped into the swimming pool (presumably to clean the goop off though this did not quite work cause I still keep finding little bits of dried blue goop in my hair and I rinsed in the shower also). Then you got out of the pool and there was another fish (which the woman said I had to kiss or at least touch, and I did even though I had already kissed my other fishy friend. Maybe you had to kiss both, or maybe that fish lady was jealous cause the other fish was getting all of the action, regardless I kissed two fish today.), and a made with a wooden sword who basically "knighted"you. And after all this you were able to change your silly title name from polywog to shellback. Pretty exciting, no? The other part of the initiation is to shave your head. Now I seriously thought about it, it would be a good story and such. But in the end I decided that in the heat of the moment it seemed like a good idea but the next day I would regret it. I have been growing out my hair and I want to keep growing it out. Plus every picture of the rest of the trip would be overshadowed by my lack of hair. I have no way of knowing how long it would take me to grow it back. So I decided not to. I thought about it again a couple of times to day, especially after seeing other girls who did it, trying to decided if I regret my decision not to do it. Then I read this little bit of information in our daily bulletin from today (which we received tonight, after all activities had already happened):
"Crossing the Line, or Neptune Day, is an initiation rite celebrated in many navies. It commemorates a sailor's first crossing of the equator. The rite was intended originally as a test of new shipmates by seasoned sailors. The tradition dates back to the 16th century, and in the old days, the ship heaved to (that is, it set its sails so as to remain stationary) and the pollywogs were hoisted on the mainyard and dunked into the ocean 40 feet below; afterwards, shaving and other forms of blood letting took place. We will actually cross the equator tomorrow in the late afternoon."
WE HAVEN'T EVEN CROSSED THE EQUATOR YET. I feel a little scammed, not gonna lie. I mean I had fun today and it was cool to go through this ritual and such, but it was suppose to happen on the day when we actually became shellbacks. Reading this I am very happy I didn't shave my head. If I feel cheated now, imagine how I would feel if I had shaved my head for the crossing of the equator. Good thing I didn't. So I am right now in this limbo between polywog and shellback. I have completed the rituals but have not actually passed the equator yet. Oh well I suppose it will be offical tomorrow in the late afternoon. Back to homework and bed. Ciao!
That is so...You mean you...I...You kissed a fish???
ReplyDeleteThat is quite possibly the craziest ceremony I've ever heard of. (Reminds me of the Tank Initiation scene from Finding Nemo--"Shark Bait! HOO HA HA!") At least you weren't dunked into the ocean from 40 feet. That's lame that you didn't do it on the actual day you crossed the equator, though.
Back in the olden days the rituals were more severe. It sounds like your rites of passage were a lot more fun. Blue Goo? What was that all about? However, you probably won't ever kiss a fish again. If you cross the equator at the international dateline you become a golden shellback.
ReplyDeleteHey, if you crossed at the Prime Meridian you're a Royal Diamond Shellback! You were really close- maybe you did?
ReplyDeleteYep....coming from a Sailor, the rituals of days gone by were much more severe. Welcome to the Shellback Club!
ReplyDelete