So India was amazing, truly amazing. Before each port they have lectures on what to expect and such to get us ready for going out into the world (literally). For India it was mostly about getting sick from the food and the poverty. Well I ate everything, including some things that they warned us not to... oops. I did not get sick so there! The poverty was not such an easy issue, it was hard seeing trash and begging children everywhere you go. The hardest part was not giving them anything, since they probably are working for some kind of gang or organization (if you have not yet seen slumdog millionaire, I suggest you watch it, cause not only is it an amazing film, but it is also a very accurate depiction of poverty in India). But besides that India is a beautiful country. The first day I was there I went on a city orientation of Chennai which was very informative. We visited an Anglican Church, a Hindu temple and a Catholic church which happens to be one of the only three churches in the world to have remains of one of the twelve apostles (St. Thomas). Then after the tour, I went to a welcome reception where I got henna done on my hand, ate delicious food, watched a classical Indian dance presentation and got to socialize with students from the University of Chennai. It was wonderful. The next three days was my excursion to Delhi and Agra to see the city and the Taj Mahal. I truly understand why the Taj Mahal is one of the seven wonders of the modern world. The last day in India I hung around Chennai, shopping and such. One of my friends on the ship knows a girl that lives in Chennai and we went out with her and had a delicious lunch. After shopping and almost missing our on ship time, we returned safely to the ship and oooooed and awwwwwwed over our purchases. Classes have been keeping me busy since leaving India, but in two days we will be in Thailand!!! Here is my supposed schedule for that...
Sunday March 15: Going to a Tiger Zoo and Mini Siam
Monday March 16: Day trip to Bangkok
Tuesday March 17: possibly in Bangkok also...
Wednesday March 18: Pattaya (I think I am spelling it right)
Thursday March 19: return to the ship to leave for Vietnam.
The time from now until after Japan is going to fly. We only have two days at sea between Thailand and Vietnam, Vietnam and China and China and Japan. These next few weeks are gonna fly. I am excited!! Ciao.
Thursday, March 12, 2009
India: The Gilligan's Island of Travel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
How are the weeks going to fly when you are on a ship?...Just wondering.
ReplyDeleteI'm excited that you got indian food! I hope you are doing all right and i miss you and love you and all that good stuff. Stay safe!
ReplyDelete--q